Monday, July 26, 2010

Weraba!

7/25 
My last day in Uganda!  I can’t believe it’s already here.  Today went too fast.  It started off with me without a voice and not being able to breathe. Lovely.  But, as a woman on a mission, I shlepped my sick self downtown to get some last minute items and bum around.  I wasn’t going to waste the entire day inside!  I have plenty of time coming up that consist of me sitting in a seat for hours on end.  So as I was shopping around, I noticed that a Ugandan woman had a small cough as well and I told her that I had a chest congestion.  She was like “yeah, I have malaria and Typhoid.”  Ummm you can imagine my face at that moment.  So in a state of panic, Polly accompanied me to Lori’s house to track down Vanessa (our nurse.)  Unfortunately she was out giving a seminar but she was home a bit later to diagnose me and start handin’ out the drugs.  Apparently, I’m feeling some major side effects from my anti-malaria medication as well as a 
b!&$* of a sinus infection from all the dust, diesel fumes, and dirt.  She didn’t want to make me take my cipro or levoquin so thus began the frantic search for a Zpak.  And after a while, one was found.  So hopefully I’ll be mostly cleared up by the time I get home.  Although, with all the meds I’m on now from this trip and sickness that accompanies it, don’t expect to get a sober response regarding anything for a while.  :) 
We then headed to my last supper where I was debriefed.  We talked about how I will handle things when I get home, what I will miss, what I was most surprised by, and what were my main highs and lows of the trip.  I think it’s one of those experiences that virtually indescribable.  I recommend that everyone do something like this that’s out of their comfort zone and forces you to look at life and the world in a completely different light.  This has truly changed and shaped me for the better.  Uganda will always be part of me and half of my heart will stay here with FOM, the women and the country.  Sorry to say this, Mom, but I can’t wait to come back.  Hopefully one, some, or all of you will join me!    
Carly- Your love for life has inspired me. The beauty that you see in EVERYTHING is a quality that not many possess.  I will remember and keep this with me always.   You are the sweetest and I know we will remain friends.  
Polly- The care and passion you have for sewing and teaching the students brought with it an incredible energy.  You make me want to keep learning and enriching my skills as a designer.  Thanks for always being there to chat about anything that I was nervous about.  From what the “embassy recommends” to my constant issues with the hole in the ground, I know I can always be open with you.  I’ll miss you tons and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come visit Wisconsin! :)

Bobbi- Your willingness to try something new and be adventurous was invigorating.  You are truly an amazing role model for any young independent woman.  I’ll miss our early morning breakfast and you picking on my extreme dislike of all insects.  If costumes don’t work out, you may want to think about a career in extermination.  You’re a life saver! 
Tara- Thank you for being such a wonderful leader and friend.  You always made me feel at ease and welcome.  I was 100% confident that you would steer us in the right direction no matter what the issue.  Your vision for Sewing Hope is and will continue to be a major success.  You should feel very proud in the work accomplished already this summer.  You have had a direct impact on me catching the “Africa bug.” (And no, I’m not talking about malaria.)  Thank you for helping me be a better person and giving me the honor of playing a small role in your organization.  I will never forget this mission.  Much love to you, FOM, and the people of Jinja and Uganda. 
For all you reading this that aren’t in Africa, thanks for following.  I hope you’ve enjoyed it and I can’t wait to show you all more pics and tell you more stories!  See you Badgers in Madison!

No comments:

Post a Comment