Saturday, July 10, 2010

7/6

7/6 I arose from my bed the next morning as the sounds of monkeys, call to prayer, large birds started squawking.  Anyway, had breakfast (I’m officially addicted to passion fruit) and headed 6 hours in the van to the Red Chilli campsite in Murchison Falls for our Safari.  (Spoke to Brigitte and Norbert, two Germans who have traveled to Uganda 9 times! She is in finance and prompted many discussions on how to teach the women next week how to sustain their business and set themselves apart from others.  It was so great to have someone to talk to about this!)  We stopped in Masindi at this yummy restaurant and for only 6,000 shillings (about $3.00) I got a Coke and amazing cod fish and chips!  It was delish! 
This place was out of “The Beach” (Kari, you’d love this one!) minus the last hour of the movie which I won’t get into.  We hiked a small hike to the falls; this is where Lake Albert and Lake Victoria combine.  Unfortunately this is the last year to see it because they are going to be damming the falls.  We learned that the founder of Red Chilli was killed here in the park about 5 years ago rescuing some rafters. He went off the beaten path and was shot by rebels. For those of you who haven’t done sufficient reading on the relatively recent history of Uganda, check it out.  Maybe AFTER I get back, I don’t want to freak anyone out but it sure does me feel lucky to live in America.  

My meal for $3.50!

From left to right: Jenny, Georgina, Polly, Jamie, Norbert, Brigitte, Bobbi 

Oh just your average nature girl...

Murchison Falls



Me and Polly 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I love reading about your adventures, keep em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LD!!! WOW, I am addicted to your blog! Are those MJ trekkers working well for you? Miss you, your pics are beautiful!!! New Job ...National Geographic!

    ReplyDelete