Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Only 5 more days until something other than pineapple, watermelon, and bananas for breakfast!

7/20
Officially less than a week until I am back on soil other than red clay! I can’t believe how fast the time has gone here!  Work was really good today. We had a great breakthrough.  One of our women really stands out from the crowd and is a great leader so the last lesson of the day we were able to have her give the demo! It was so wonderful to hear her speaking Lusoga to the women, explaining what to do, and seeing the others listen and follow her.  On a small scale, this is our goal: to teach teachers.  So that was pretty cool.  
My major low for the day was at about 10pm as I was dropped off at my hotel by the boda boda driver.  He literally drove me 1 block and demanded 500 shillings (I gave him 300.)  It normally is 700 to get downtown.  I know it’s not a big deal but it’s the principal: they always charge mzungus WAY more than Ugandans and I can speak for our group by saying it is extremely annoying.  If we want to donate money to you, we do, but otherwise we want to be treated the same.  So to get back on track, I, along with two guards from my hotel, had a screaming match with the boda driver.  They agreed that the bodas shouldn’t be charging that much.  I ended up giving the guy an extra 100 shillings but firmly placed it in his hands, looked at him in his crooked eyes and said, “you know you’re overcharging me because of my skin.” He sped off into the night after that one.  Jerk.  I thanked the guards, after, for having my back.  The thing is if some mzungus give in and give them what they want, then they end up charging those here year round that high price.  It’s not fair.  So as word to all you traveling to 3rd world countries out there, don’t give money to those who are purposely overcharging or begging.  It doesn’t help either party.  Ok... that was my rant.  p.s. I still love Uganda and all of you should still visit! :)
My sidewalk that sometimes exists as I walk to work.  I walk in the street a lot too!

Speed bumps to slow down traffic.  Speed limits don't exist here.  Scary!

One of the million chickens clucking around here...talk about free range!

This is a very small pothole in the city.  I should've taken some pics when I was in the village.  They are crazy big!

Main St.  The road is being repaved. I think this gravel may potentially be the final product not sure though...

Grace's shop.  If you enter in the front, walk through the store, we are in the back.

Corner of the Source cafe.  My hang out for lunch most days and delish coffee and church coincidentally.

Tires tires and more tires

Victoria working on the cuff of her sleeve.

Sewing on the front pocket.

Miriam's adorable baby that we all hold and hug. She's the cutest.  Baby's don't wear diapers here so that's been fun...but they wear bracelets and beads around their waist to make them "beautiful."  Yesterday Tara accidentally undid the beads and I was like, "get them back on there! She won't have a defined waist; she'll have a potbelly!" This is what the women say.  Quite funny.

This is how the women hold their baby.  No Baby Bjorns here just a sheet and 2 knots in the front.  I can't imagine that's comfortable.  You should see them put the babies on this way; it's quite incredible! 

3 comments:

  1. Just cannot wait to see alllll the pics. Just amazing the way others live- but I would say they may not be as stresed as we are! Miss you hon - Home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to give it to the driver Lindsay!! I mean really. Crazy how overcharging people goes on all over the world. Wow!

    Oh, and I remember a little baby who used to cry and cry and cry when she was 3-4 months old.
    Guess who that was? Hmmm...
    Love you and can't wait to see you!!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy,
    Moi?! Never. I was told I only sang "Jesus Loves Me" at the top of my lungs when sitting in the stroller. Never saw a tear roll down this cheek! :)~Lins

    ReplyDelete