Saturday, July 10, 2010

Jinja Jinja!

7/9 Drove to Jinja where I’ll be staying the rest of my time.  We got settled in the hotel. They had on the website that they offered wireless internet.  So I asked, “Do you have internet?” They said, “Yes but it does not work.  A man is fixing it.”  “Alright,” I said, “do you know when it will be up and running?” “Um, *long pause and confused look on his face* he went home because he had a headache.”  Yeah...that’s Africa for you.  I wanted to offer him some Aleve so he could finish.  My impatience does NOT fly here! All the Mzungus (white people/foreigners) call it African time.  2 hours late to something is common! I have to chill!  So I headed to meet Tara, Kelly, Polly, Jamie, and Bobbi (our main group) for lunch.  Tara, Polly, and I bought fabric for our lessons next week and went to central market.  It’s basically this HUGE outdoor market jam packed with fruits, spices, clothing, meats, electronics, housewares, anything you can think of.  I’ll take some pictures and post soon.  The children in the market touch you and yell Mzungu because they think it’s good luck to touch white skin.  They are so adorable! Later that night we went to the Gately which is a very nice restaurant on Lake Victoria and had a great meal. You know I thought I wasn’t going to like the food here but it’s quite good! 
Boda Boda

The group at Gately

I guess the Ugandan version of self tanner... ?

Me, terrified of the Motatu...this is what they packed 19 people in!

G Nuts... Similar to peanuts I just that it was funny. Apparently stands for "ground" nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment