Friday, July 16, 2010

Wasuze Otya!

7/15
Oli Otya! Well today was my first lesson in Lusoga, the language spoken here in Jinja.  Luganda is the language spoken in Kampala and is used more often but we thought we’d tailor it a bit more to the location where we are.  Luckily most people understand Luganda and Lusoga and they are very similar so hopefully they’ll understand SOMETHING I manage to say! I will say though that this morning I greeted the boda boda guy by saying “Wasuze Otya!” (Good Morning!) and he was so chatty after that and didn’t whine about me giving him 700 shillings for the ride.  Lately they’ve been wanting 1000 shillings from Mzungus but I think my newly found Lusoga along with the flashing of my pearly whites ensured that I only would have to pay 700.  :)   Anyway, the language lesson went great! Ali, our teacher, met us at the Keep which is a new restaurant in Jinja.  (This restaurant is medieval style only 2 weeks old created by a former computer hacker.  Basically he used to hack for the government in the US and now works for charities doing computer stuff. After his wife visited here once, he was sold.  He quit his job and moved his family here.  Pretty cool.  I got a Kit Kat milkshake...mmm delish!) We’re having our next lesson on Saturday morning.  Sula bulungi! (Goodnight!)


Emma working on his shirt with Polly

Victoria making final stitches on her bag.

Ziria and Olivia seam ripping a shirt apart for patterning.

A picture of our backyard...our "facilities" are behind that blue door.  We'll leave that part to the imagination.

Victoria modeling her bag!!

Rehema workin' it with her bag.

Salha loves her bag! It really makes the brown of her outfit pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment