Saturday, July 10, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM!

7/10 HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIMMY!!! I’m so sad I can’t be there to help you celebrate.  I miss you tons! 
So far today has been quite difficult for me. I think the culture shock has finally set in and I’m really missing home.  I’m sure most of you can relate some time or another to what it’s like to be away from the comfort of your home, family and friends in traveling.  But living in a third world country has definitely pushed it to a higher level and is quite a lot to take in.  Anyway, needless to say I am sitting on my bed eating what’s left of my peanut butter M&Ms, listening to TLCB and wearing an American flag pin on my shirt (not really.)   
So after I got out of my sulking and realized that there are many other people worse off than me, I headed to Main St. and got a salad. This will be the last time that I eat alone because a man sat down with me and proceeded to explain why we should date, asked if I was married, etc. To use Katie's phrase "he wanted the white chocolate" but I didn't have to bust out the pepper spray yet thank goodness.  After that, we took a Motatu...let's just say that it is a terrifying white van chock full of people clown car style.  We had 19 people in the van when all was said and done.  It was a 2 hour drive to the school where Peter (one of our translators teaches.)  The school puts on dance/singing competitions that we attended.  It was soooo cool. I'll add videos as soon as I compress everything.  We were special guests and let me tell you in a room of 1000 Ugandans, the 7 of us were quite the spectacle.  They laughed at how fast we talked. Everything here is "African time."  This performance lasted 2 hours longer than what we anticipated.  It was mostly the director and teachers talking into the mic.  Quite long but the dancing and singing was amazing. You think Shakira's got hips that don't lie...honey, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
The start of the dance performance.


They wear skirts/scarves to signify they are the dancers.  The singers don't wear them.





4 comments:

  1. O Lindsay Bean - we love you so much and just think in 2 1/2 weeks you'll be back in the goopd ol' USA!!! sounds like you are having an amazing time and I'm glad all those big animals were kind to you!!! Keep eating those peanut butter M and M's - they will give you lots of energy! Sounds like the food is good there, but be careful with the fruit! OK I'll stop worrying now. Let me know when you can SKYPE. We are headed to Milwaukee to have lunch with Kim and Ian for her birthday! 23 - that's completely impossible, but as I said to dad yesterdqay - we raised two amazing girls and they just continue to amaze us. We love you tons hon and enjoy your mission- You are doing good and also learning alot of interesting facts that can begin interesting dinner conversations! Love you, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Honey!

    Love your anecdotes and descriptive naratives! Sounds like you're meeting a lot of interesting and wonderful people -- good to be reminded, in many ways, people are the same, the world around (sans a few cultural differences!!. We are thinking and praying for you on your mission and looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. Enjoy every minute of this fabulous adventure and take great comfort and joy in knowing you are blessed to be a blessing.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lins. Your blog is soooo interesting (You have a wonderful writing style). What an experience your having. Be careful - I just heard about the bombings in Kampala. Be sure to let your Mom know your okay (and us too).
    Love, Auntie Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just heard about the bombings too, ian told me and my heart stopped for a minute! Let us know you're doing well, we love you!

    ReplyDelete